Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We have a reader!...and other exciting things...


Yes, my not even 5 year old little boy is reading!  I can't believe it!  He's been starting to sound out words for a while now and has known letter sounds since he was 2.5, but really reading is different.  He's growing up...and I'm not so sure I like it!  :)  We've been sounding out words in some of his books a lot lately and he does really well with it when he doesn't get frustrated (he wants to know all the words all the time without any trouble!).  My parents got him 3 easy-reader books for Valentine's Day and he has been so excited about reading them.  There are still a few words that we have to work on, but overall, he's reading the books all by himself!  I am so proud of my big boy!

Some of Jack's new books...

Jack got this new game for Christmas and it is great for beginner readers.  He hasn't quite gotten the concept of racing to make the words the fastest, but with a little help, he made quite a few words when he played with my Mom the other night!

This was on the floor in our den when we got home and Mom was watching the kids.  She said they played the game and when he was going up for bed she started to clean it up and he got all upset.  He said she needed to leave it out so he could show me and John all his words.  The next morning, he read every single one of the words to me!  Smarty pants!


In other Jack news, we are all registered for Kindergarten at Midway starting in the fall!  He was very excited to go with me to the school to register and seems very excited about going there.  I didn't have too hard of a time filling out all the paperwork, but I'm sure I'll be a little emotional come August!

Jack got to check out some cool firetrucks at his buddy Hodges' birthday party...



Jack continues to be our little wild man...keeping us laughing most all the time!  I think he's a future engineer in the making as his favorite toys continue to be anything that you can build- Tinker Toys and Legos are always at the top of the list.  Jack loves school and loves his teachers.  He is learning so much, although there are many days when it's like pulling teeth for him to tell us about it.  They recently had a unit of study about the planets...Jack LOVED that!  He's very into rockets, planets, and all things outer space...he tells me he wants to fly a rocket with his best buddy Hodges when they grow up!  On the way home from dinner the other night we had this conversation...(after he'd gotten a toy taken away)...
-Jack: When will I get that back?
-Me: I don't know, maybe in a year.
-Jack: In a year?  You mean, the time that it takes for the earth to go around the sun then I can get it back?

I couldn't believe he remembered that and that he could spit it out so quickly.  He's just a little sponge!

Jack loves his Daddy and loves having him home on the weekends.  Over the holidays while John was home for over a week, Jack and Daddy got in the habit of making coffee together.  Jack loved standing on the little stool and learning how to measure out all the coffee and turn it on.  He loves to drink coffee, too- and he will drink it black!  Definitely didn't inherit those tastes from me!  Now, every Saturday around 7am, this is the usual scene in our house:
-Jack (standing by John's side of the bed):  Hey Daddy, is it time to go make coffee now?
-John: How about snuggling with Momma and Daddy for a few minutes, buddy?
-Jack: Ok (lays down in the bed for approx. 2 minutes)...Daddy, now is it time to go make coffee?

John usually gets up and Jack is ready to go bounding down the stairs to make the coffee.

One more Jack funny...

A few weeks ago, Jack must've given up on the idea that we'd ever get any snow and decided to improvise a bit.  We were driving in the car and Jack says, 'Momma, I wish you were a snowball.'  I asked him why he'd want me to be a snowball.  He says, 'So then I could throw you!'  I'm not sure how I should've responded to that, but John and I were both too busy laughing to say anything.  Silly boy!  :)

At the preschool Valentine's party...obviously enjoying his snacks! :)


We're all looking forward to the spring around here.  Jack has taken the spring off from soccer and t-ball and is planning on starting golf lessons with one of his friends this spring.  We'll see if we have a future PGA star on our hands around here!  :)  He's excited about being able to play golf with Daddy!

Enjoying a little outdoors time on the playset...


Jack continues to love his sister and they play together pretty well....most of the time.  There are the usual tiffs about taking toys away and playing too rough, but all in all, they are the best of friends.  It's so cute when I pick Jack up in carpool line, usually one of the first questions he asks is, 'What did you and Rylee do while I was at school?'  Like he can't wait to get home to see what he missed.  I love listening to their little conversations when I'm not in the room with them.  He's always trying to teach Rylee new things and gets so excited when she 'learns' what he's teaching her!

Jack and Rylee looking cute before church...

Jack got his Leapster from Amma and GiGi for his 4th birthday and it continues to be a favorite toy!  He has a few games now and really enjoys playing it.  We haven't jumped on much of the video game scene (we still don't have a Wii here...I know, gasp!), but at least this one seems to teach him something.  :)

Our little boy is just growing up so quickly!  He's such a blessing and just a happy little boy.  We love him so much!!

No comments: