Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Freezer Space...

I mentioned in a previous post that I've been making all of Rylee's baby food so far. I thought I'd give a little more info about it. I didn't make any of Jack's baby food, didn't really think about it or know anything about it. A couple of my friends have made their kids baby food and kinda introduced me to the idea. It really isn't hard at all- just a matter of buying the produce (either fresh or frozen) and then steaming/cooking it and pureeing it. Not hard, just takes a little time. I usually try to do a big batch of cooking at the beginning of the week that can last me the whole week. That way I'm not cooking (and cleaning all the pots) every night! I puree the food, then store them in ice cube trays and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, I put them in a labeled freezer bag and keep all of them in a shelf in the freezer.

Peaches cooking on the stove

Some of my freezer stock- carrots, green beans, pears and sweet potatoes...



This is where the title of the post comes in....I am using quite a bit of freezer space right now. Not only do I have the one shelf full of baby food, but I also have an entire bin at the bottom of our freezer full of frozen breastmilk. I have been pumping pretty much everyday and have quite the supply saved up. I use at least a bag or two each week for work and I also use some for Rylee's cereal, but I still have a lot! As anyone who has every breastfed knows, that stuff is liquid gold, so I will keep all of it! You never know when you may need it! :) It's good in the freezer for about 4 months and I've been good about not wasting but just a few bags. Thankfully, we have an extra fridge in the garage that's freezer is being used a lot more than usual to hold some of our regular freezer goods.

All of that milk...

I like making the baby food because I know exactly what Rylee is eating...no preservatives, etc. Kinda the same reason I've been breastfeeding and pumping all this time- just to give her the best! It's totally worth it, but I'll have a ton of extra time on my hands when we're done with it all!

2 comments:

The Russells said...

Great idea! I hope to do the same thing some day. :) When the time comes I may have to talk to you about how to do it. MB

Kevin and Lisa said...

That's great to document all your hard work!!! In a year when you're sleeping 8 hours again and not so crazy out of it from all that babies require - you'll laugh looking back!