Thursday, January 22, 2009

Snow Day!

So the weather people called for snow Monday night and school was cancelled for Tuesday by 5pm. A little dramatic knowing Columbia's history for snow accumulation and the weatherman's history of completely wrong forecasts, but whatever. It was an exciting possibility. We woke up early Tuesday morning to...SNOW! Not a lot, but it was falling. It accumulated a little on the grass and deck but not on the roads, thank goodness. Jack woke up and John took him out in the snow for a few minutes before he had to leave for work...Jack was super excited. He enjoyed trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue. He'd been saying for a while now that it couldn't be winter yet because there was no snow. Apparently, on his little shows and in his books winter is typically shown with snow falling, snowmen being buit, etc. So now that we had snow, it was now officially winter in Jack's world.


I took Jack and Rylee out for a bit a little later in the morning after breakfast and Jack was still excited. He loved catching snowflakes and making tracks though the snow. There really wasn't enough to build a snowman or have a great snowball fight...maybe next time. He didn't seem to mind and had fun just being out in it and watching it fall. Rylee was not a big fan of the snow. She couldn't really get down and play in it and I think she was just cold. I let her crawl around in it a little on the deck and she was just a little unsure about it. I'm sure she'll like it better when she can run around and chase her brother! :)

The sun came out around noon and the snow started to melt. Jack woke up from his nap and went over to the back stairs (which lead down to our kitchen and you can see the back door from there) and said, 'Momma, I need to show you something.' I came over there and he said, 'Look...the snow is all gone. Where did it go?' (Imagine grave concern in his voice). I tried to explain that it was like on Frosty the Snowman and when the sun got warm, the snow had to go away. He wasn't real accepting of this answer at first, but came around when I asked if he wanted a snack! :)



A few pictures of our very brief South Caroina snow...


Having fun in the snow!

Rylee's not too sure about it...


Making tracks on the deck


Posing in the front yard...


Look at all that snow! :)

Catching snowflakes with his tongue...

Jack's first time checking out the snow...still in the pj pants!

No comments: