Friday, August 1, 2008

The Beach!!


We had such a great week at the beach last week. This is our 3rd year going with my whole family and every year is better than the last. It's so nice to get away and relax a bit and it's so nice to have family to help with the kiddos. Mom and Dad do so much to help with them and we appreciate it so much! I never knew how much 'stuff' it takes to get a family of 4 to the beach. We loaded up the van Friday night and Saturday morning just knowing that we'd have PLENTY of space for everything....and we did, but it was full! Next year we won't have quite so much baby gear so that will be nice! We had wonderful weather while we were there...not really any rain and just one really windy day.

My parents brought a big tailgate tent that we set up on the beach each morning and that was really nice for Rylee. We brought a little blow-up pool for her and she just hung out and splashed away- totally made in the shade! She did enjoy sitting on the beach some too and loved digging her feet around in the sand. She didn't try to eat as much sand as I expected, so that was nice. :) She is definitely related to her Aunt Say-Say (my sister) because after a week at the beach mostly in the shade and covered in spf 55 sunscreen, she has a pretty nice tan going on! I love the little tan lines!

Last year, Jack loved the beach and digging in the sand but wasn't such a big fan of the water. Not this year! After the first day and a little coaxing, we could barely get him out of the water. You know he loved it when he didn't even want to stop for his usual snack and Capri Sun! He loved jumping the waves right at the shore and he really loved going out in the water with Daddy and floating over the big waves! Such a big boy. I probably haven't really gotten in the ocean in 5 years or so and he even got me out there in the waves...I was scared to death, but it was fun!

We went shopping at the outlets one morning of the trip. I was able to get some fall shoes for Jack and a start of fall clothes for the kids too, but I think we've decided to change that one part of the trip for next year. It's just too hard to handle two kids shopping and actually get anything done. I think that might be a girls outing next year...and I may even get to look for some things for me! Crazy! :)

The little kids had a lot of fun at the beach, of course, but I think all the big kids had a great time too. We really enjoyed staying up late after the kids went to bed and playing lots of games. We played Phase 10, UNO, Trivial Pursuit, Scene It, and Catch Phrase. Catch Phrase was a new addition this year and I think it was the favorite. If you haven't played it, it's a blast- we definitely need to have a game night soon! Say-Say and Anthony also brought Horseshoes and we were able to go out on the beach and play that during naptime on afternoon. I wasn't very good, but John was a quick learner of that game and even had a few 'ringers'! The boys definitely won! :)

We went out to dinner one night-to Drunken Jack's in Murrell's Inlet! It was yummy food and the kids looked hilarious in their pirate hats!

Rylee had a milestone while we were at the beach that I need to include! She said her first word- DaDa - on Monday of our trip. Needless to say, Daddy was thrilled! I'm not sure she totally gets what she's saying, but she says it pretty often now and gets super excited when she sees John, so I think she's getting it. I guess it's fair that she said that first since Jack said Momma first! :)

Onto the masses of pictures...(we probably took over 500 pictures over the week, so this really isn't TOO many...Ha!)



First day-just checking out the beach



Jack and Daddy had a lot of fun digging in the sand. John brought his big shovel and was able to dig some pretty cool holes for Jack to play in. They'd fill them in with water and Jack would have his own little mini-pool!




Jack and Rylee both checking out the waves...Say-Say and Anthony helped get Jack excited about jumping in the waves.





Playing in the sand with Say-Say




One of the many times Jack and Daddy went out in the waves...Jack loved it so much! He would wave to all of us and loved to 'float' over the waves.




Rylee had fun hanging out with Daddy and Poppa






Having fun playing Horseshoes on the beach



Rylee loved snuggling with MuMu on the beach...MuMu sang lots of Pat-A-Cake and Itsy Bitsy Spider!!




Mom and Dad brought Jack some little water guns to play with at the beach and the pool- they were a big hit! Check out the huge grin! Happy boy!



Momma and Jack jumping the waves


Rylee just chillin out in her little pool in the shade! Such a sweet bathing beauty!

My Mom's favorite movie of all time is 'The Wizard of Oz.' She's been telling Jack about it for a while now and they decided to watch it at the beach. Jack loved it...and asked about 4000 questions during it. He's already asked to watch it again the next time he's over at MuMu and Poppa's house! :) I think they all enjoyed snuggling for movie time!



Playing at the pool






We celebrated my Dad's birthday while we were at the beach. Jack had fun helping with the cake and helping to blow out the candles!



Us at Drunken Jack's

The kids in the pirate's hats...check out Rylee's- complete with the pink bow! :)


Poppa and Jack had matching beach chairs this year. Too cute carrying them to the beach!




More fun on the beach...










Picture proof that I actually got into the ocean! Me and my boys...



Game time...even Jack got into playing a little UNO



I always like to take some 'pretty pictures' on the beach while we're on vacation. We were able to get some pretty good ones of both kiddos this year. I really wanted to do some family pictures as well, but time just got away from us and we didn't plan well enough. I'm definitely happy with the ones we got of the kids and hopefully next year, John and I can join in too!






I definitely didn't want to leave the beach at the end of the week! We had such a good time and enjoyed every minute. We are already looking forward to next year!!!

No comments: